Friday, May 29, 2009

Ouch...That One Hurt

So the other day I was taking Katelyn to CDA for tennis lessons. I had invited a friend to go with me so we could check out the new Croc center and make a Costco run for contraband dishwasher soap. On the way home, my friend was chatting with Katelyn. Here is an excerpt from that conversation. Friend: So Katelyn what is it that gives you the most teen-age angst? Katelyn: Not having a cell phone. Friend: Really? Not having a cell phone bothers you more than anything else? Katelyn: Yep. Friend: So have you reached the stage when it is embarrassing and really not cool to be seen with your mom? Katelyn: Yesss said with a huge, exasperated sigh. I knew this stage would come sooner or later, but it still hurt to hear it verbalized. Especially since up to this point, Katelyn was always the child I could count on to not just acknowledge me when out in public, but she would always give me a hug. I guess I haven't reached "cool mom" status. And maybe that's OK. I'm really not sure what I would need to do to improve my coolness and I don't really think it is possible since every kid thinks their parent is the least cool. Sometimes it is hard having your children grow up and reach these important developmental milestones. It is a reminder that they are here with us only for a short while.

2 comments:

Heather's mom said...

I distinctly remember wanting to know who had stolen MY child and when would they be bringing her back to exchange for the one they must have left by mistake. The stage didn't last long (I think it helped when you got to drive yourself places) and we both survived it. Neccessary but agrivating.

jessica said...

Ouch! Well Maya no longer lets me kiss her on the lips. She turns her head when she knows I'm going in for one :(