Sunday, May 3, 2009

Loved and Appreciated

There is nothing like travelling to remind you of all the things you love and appreciate. For me, travel reminds me how much my family, both extended and nuclear, means to me.
This past Monday through Thursday I was in St. Louis visiting my brother, his wife, and daughter. It was a wonderful visit. I loved being in their home and absorbing the Spirit that is felt there. My brother and his wife are great. I wish I knew enough adjectives to describe my delightful little niece. She is two and I so enjoyed being able to bask in her 2-ness. We played toys, did art projects, took walks around the botanical gardens and zoo. We went shopping. I loved it all. I did get a little wistful in remembering when my children were 2 and somehow I don't think I enjoyed their 2-ness nearly as much as I enjoyed Charlotte's.
When I got home, the boys picked me up from the airport. I asked Carson if it was good to have mom home and his first response was "Yeah, Dad never fed us." He then said, "It was almost like I was already out of the house. I had to get myself up, get to school, walk home and study. The only thing I didn't have to do was pay the utility bill." Aw, it's nice to be missed. I guess making the time to cook dinner and being home to get him up for school, drop him off, and most days being home right around the same time as him really does mean a lot. I love you too, buddy.
Yes, travelling does remind me of the things that I love and appreciate. Apparently, it also keeps me in the forefront of my family's mind because they realize all that I do behind the scenes. Even though the hubby thought I was away for too long, I thought it was just right. I think it was because I got to spend time with my stinkin' cute niece and her awesome parents.

3 comments:

Mom said...

What other 12 year old would come up with "pay the utility bill"? That boy is quite a character. Glad you had a good visit.

Maggie said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself!

PS. Did you notice that steak shaped bandaid on her shirt? I thought we'd gotten them all off her before we left for the zoo, but I guess I was wrong.

Nurse Graham said...

Yes I did notice the steak band-aid on her shirt and it made me smile.