Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Too Many Things

The problem with blogging is that sometimes I have so many things that I want to blog about, that I get overwhelmed and don't blog anything. Such is the case for this past week. For example, I thought about blogging about my quandry about voting for our school district's m&o levy. I was wondering if I had an ethical obligation to vote for the levy, not only because my children attend/benefit from public education, but the district is my employer. I won't tell you what decision I finally came to, but the very fact that I was debating might be an indication to which way I voted. Then I thought about blogging about the cutest little 1st grader who has to use the bathroom in the health room because, as he says, "I just take way too much time when I use the other bathroom." When he comes out of the health room bathroom in under 5 minutes, he'll give you a double thumbs-up, but then you have to remind him to go right back to class. My next thought was about universal health care. I don't like it. I think it is dangerous to think that somehow the government can provide a viable healthcare system that won't bankrupt the whole country. I was especially bothered by the fact that our governor really is pushing hard for this and is ready to make this her hill to die on--I guess one can only hope. I was also floored when she said to the nurses across the state (at Nurse Leg Day, which I attended), that she was so proud that the legislature voted to increase unemployment benefits because "People who are unemployed don't save, they spend. And if they go out and spend extra on a coffee or a computer, well then maybe they have just saved a job at Starbuck's and Microsoft." Um, shouldn't we all be trying a little harder to save and avoid purchases we really can't afford? Finally, is anyone else dismayed at the number of President Obama's canidates that have had to withdraw because they haven't bothered to pay taxes? Or do you find it concerning that many people aren't bothered by it and find it acceptable because, after all, "people in their positions are rarely doing their own taxes so they probably don't really know that the taxes haven't been paid." What?! We all have to sign the return and I bet they do go over it with a fine-toothed comb to look for more deductions. And even though I had a nice "girl's weekend" (going over to Olympia for Nurse Leg Day), I was soooo happy to get home and see my family! Carson even said "I love you, Mom" when I called him Monday morning to make sure he was up for school AND he gave me a hug as soon as I got home. It's nice to be appreciated.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

The real danger of universal health care is that it will become an untouchable albatross that the US government will never be able to shed, rather like Social Security. We will pay through the nose for it, but not reap the benefits thereof.