Monday, January 19, 2009

The Return of the Baby Car

In our household we have three vehicles: David's quad cab, the SUV, and what I refer to lovingly as "my little Honda" AKA, the baby car. No one else in my family appreciates this car nearly as much as I do. If given the chance they would all pick either the truck or the SUV to ride in. I find it sad when no one wants to ride in my little Honda. The baby car is in good condition--no bondo or rust spots to be ashamed of--it doesn't make any funny squeally noises that a car of its age might (it's 15 years old) and it still has a lot of getty-up and go left in it. So what is the objection of my family members? Well, they all say they have outgrown the baby car--meaning they all think they are too big to ride in it. Carson can't really say that just yet because for the time being he is still shorter than me (by only about 2 inches), but Katelyn passed me up a year ago and David never really did fit very well in the Honda, especially after I was driving. Anyway, with all the snow that fell at the end of December my little Honda just didn't have enough ground clearance to drive over all of the snow ruts, berms, and drifts. So she had to live in the garage. I was a little sad not being able to drive my little Honda. I missed the feeling of sitting down low and feeling like the car was enveloping me. I missed her sweet little manual transmission and the tight cornering. Finally on Sunday the snow had melted enough from our driveway (before the snowblower arrived I only shoveled enough snow to get the SUV out and therefore had a huge berm behind the Honda's slot in the garage) and my little Honda and I went for a drive! Oh it was wonderful! The baby car and I were out on the road again and all was right with the world. She and I are bonded--it will be a sad day when I have to hand over the keys to Katelyn. Unless...David realizes how special I would feel if he got me another Honda. But this time I want a Honda S2000 (baby blue, hard top please).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Honda is "the baby car", what does that make your dad's SmartCar? the "toy car"?

Nurse Graham said...

Yep, definitely toy car. I might go for one of those if they came in a convertable.

Anonymous said...

Better not let dad drive the little bubble across West Plains, he may end up in Canada on a stiff breeze.

Nate

Anonymous said...

Judging from the trip I took in the Honda over Thanksgiving I'd say some of their objections to riding in it come from the fact that there is a large amount of your work material taking up the inside. At least your Honda has four doors, ours only has two and I'm sure we'll be keeping that baby around for at least the next 8 years or so. Keep pushing for that S2000, they're pretty nice little cars. But I don't recall ever seeing a hardtop.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Random thought: remember when we were shopping for your wedding gown? You originally wanted one with a full ball gown skirt. After a full morning of trying on ball gowns, you said they made you feel "big" and it was weird. After lunch you tried on straight gowns & the first one you tried on was "it". Maybe it's the same sort of thing with the car - the "baby car" just suits you better.

Anonymous said...

Funny that you are so beaming about your baby car. We are thinking about upgrading to an EXCURSION. Your baby car would probably fit underneath the one we looked at Saturday.

Nate