Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What was that?!

2:10 a.m. Everyone is snuggled down in their beds, slumbering away. 2:11 a.m. A loud, bone-jarring beep. I waken with a jolt and immediately strain to hear anything else. 2:11 and 30 seconds Another loud, bone-jarring beep. This time I jump out of bed with David right behind me. I run to the door, feel the handle and door to check for heat and smell for smoke. Nothing. Out in the hallway we find Carson with a puzzled look on his face and squinting his eyes from the sudden bright light from turning on the hall light. So far nothing seems amiss. We all wander through the house (all except Katelyn who apparently did not stir at all). When everything checks out in the house, Dave and I take a walk around the perimeter of the outside of the house. Again, all is well. 2:25 a.m. Back to bed. 3:20 a.m. I finally drift back to sleep--sudden bursts of adrenaline really mess up my sleep schedule. 4:30 a.m. The alarm goes off to start another day. 4:50 a.m. I finally roll out of bed (after hitting the snooze button twice), dress for my run and head out the door. Why do smoke detectors always seem to die in the middle of the night? And why couldn't this one just go quietly into that good night with the pleasant little "chirp" that we usually get when the batteries are almost dead? I'm learning how to be a glass-half full person and so for this moment I have found this positive...David actually responded without me having to kick him in the shin to get out of bed to find out what was going on. This is a B-I-G moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at your profile, man you are old!
Nice blog by the way.

Nate

Maggie said...

I like the blog too. Glad to hear that it wasn't a real fire.

Hey Nate- When are you and Jenny going to get a blog?

Anonymous said...

Ummmm... do you really have to ask that question? The answer would be: Never. People don't want to read my anti-social commentary anyway.

Nate