Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I finally caved

If you don't know me, I'll let you in on a little secret (not so much a secret if you do know me)...I can be quite stubborn, maybe even a little rigid. When I say no, I mean no and I very rarely change my mind. Matter of fact, the more I am pushed, the harder I dig my heels in. Until now. You see today is Carson's birthday and he is a boy who really doesn't ask for much. This year for his birthday he wanted a journal and a cat. The journal was easy. The cat, well that just doesn't work for us because his sister is very allergic to cats (although she did say she would go through allergy shots if we were seriously considering getting a cat for Carson's birthday). I just couldn't bring myself to put Katelyn through allergy shots just so we could get a cat. So here we are at today and as of this morning, we had nothing for Carson's birthday, other than a journal. We (David and I) were racking our brains trying to think of other things for the boy--Dave had great ideas, but they were all >$500.00 so were quickly ruled out. Then I had a thought, yes the thought came from me and I couldn't believe I was even suggesting it. How about a PSP2 or a Nintendo DS for the boy? Did I make that suggestion outloud? Indeed I did and David jumped all over it. For years the kids (and truth be told, David, too) had been begging and pleading for a hand-held gaming system of some sort. I was adamant that we were not going to get one, EVER. Adamant, no way, no how! I argued that they were really a waste of time and money and the kids spent enough time in idleness. They did not need another reason to be sitting around. I held firm. I was a rock. No WAY! What happened? How could I suggest that we get Carson a Nintendo DS for his birthday? Where were my convictions? I don't know. And now I fear that since the door has opened a crack, they are going to push even harder! What's next? A Wii? A cell phone? What? And how what are we going to have to get Katelyn for her birthday if this is what we get Carson when all he wanted was a journal. Oh please pray for me when Christmas comes that I might just leave well enough alone. Carson would have been happy with a journal for his birthday. Why did I have to suggest more?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He wanted a journal...AND a cat.
Maybe a Nintendo isn't such a bad compromise. It neeedn't be a slippery slope. Dan only ever got 2 games for his system as I recall. & Carson still doesn't have the cat.

Lindsey said...

Welcome to the blogging world heather! Thanks for visiting! Oh, yeah, we have LOTS of Jaxon stories... I am sure there is no end in sight! :)

Maggie said...

Dan had a gaming system?! He is STRONGLY against us ever having one. (Not that I think we have to have one.) I'm surprised to learn this.

Maggie said...

PS. As far as hassles goes I'd pick the gaming system over the cat too.

Anonymous said...

Maggie, in case you didn't know, Dan had pretty much EVERYTHING he ever asked for. It seems however he can be taught.
Heather, perhaps he will be like Caleb. Jasen bought him a DS and he mostly only plays it in the car. The bigger problem is the Wii at Grandma Albrecht's house.

Nate