Sunday, April 22, 2012

Palouse Falls

From the observation point

At the Falls' level

Yesterday was a very busy day.

I ran 20 miles in the morning and then in the afternoon (after Dave finished his 50 mile bike ride), we drove down to see Palouse Falls.

Ever since reading about a kayaker who purposelly chose to go over these Falls, we have wanted to drive down and see it. So we decided yesterday was the day.

It was a beautiful day and the Falls were spectacular. I wish the hike to get down to the Falls' level wasn't a two-mile descent, but I'm glad we did it.

Along the way we saw some funny marmots




We let Josie play in the river...on a leash and a ways up river from the big falls

Carson thought about jumping in...just kidding, but this picture does kind of give that impression

The trail was single-track in parts so Dave, Josie and Carson waited up the trail while I hiked down about 10 yards to get the picture at the Falls' level. Josie didn't like not being able to see me so she kept peeking around the rock to find me.
My knee hurt and my right foot was completely numb by time we finished the hike, but I am so glad that we finally went to see Palouse Falls.

Where was Katelyn? Well she was at a choir festival. We decided that while she would have enjoyed seeing the Falls, she definitely would not have liked the hiking down to get a closer look. The trail was rough and steep. The temperature was a little hot. While the rest of us thought it was great, she would have hated it and would have complained the whole time. So while we missed her, I know she was probably relieved that she had another commitment that kept her from joining us on our outing.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Thnaks for doing a "scouting" trip. Your dad has been talking about visiting the falls but 2 miles downhill on a rocky gravely trail is a "probably not" for me - still under doctor's orders not to fall, you know.