Friday, April 13, 2012

Adjustment Spells Relief

Our trip to Utah for Spring Break was fabulous. It was sunny and relaxing. The drive home was not so fabulous. And it was far from sunny and relaxing. Matter of fact, it was several hours of white-knuckle driving from Logan to Missoula. It was snowing, foggy & windy with many sections of road with slush and snow. It was like a trifecta of bad.

Consequently I arrived home with huge knots in my neck and upper back. Dave offered a massage but I opted out of that. I just tried stretching & heat. I thought I was on the mend. By Tuesday afternoon I could tell that I wasn't making much progress releasing the kinks, but I didn't think much about it.

My body, on the other hand, was not happy with being ignored. At 2:00 Thursday morning, I woke up out of a dead sleep with such horrible neck pain, I immediately started reviewing body systems to make sure everything but my neck was in working order.

Can I tip my chin to my chest? No. Uh oh what does that mean? Let's ask some more questions.

Did I have a fever? No

Did I have a horrible headache? Headache, yes, but not horrible. It definitely felt like it was due to the tension in my neck muscles

Did I have a rash? No

OK, no menigitis so take some ibuprofen & go back to sleep. I know, totally irrational to jump to menigitis, but it was 2:00 in the morning & I wasn't thinking rational thoughts.

Anyway, the pain continued for the rest of the day & kept me up again last night.

I had tried everything that I could think of...
stretching, heat, BioFreeze, more ibuprofen than I really should have been taking.

The lack of sleep & the inconquerable pain was starting to make me a whee bit cranky. And nauseous.

Cranky & nausea are my qualifiers for seeking professional help.

So I did something I had never done before.

I went to a chiropractor. He is a guy in our ward & he has treated Katelyn before. I really liked how he treated her so I made an appointment to see him today.

Oh my gosh the adjustment & crunching was wonderful. It released the tension enough that I could actually sit up from a laying position without pain & assistance. He gave me some stretching exercises to do at home over the weekend & I'll follow up with him on Monday.

Thanks Dr. Kash Merrill.

You fixed the cause of the cranky & nausea.

My family thanks you too.

No comments: