Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Awhhh Teen-agers

If I had written this post a couple of days ago when I thought of the title, it wouldn't have sounded anything like today's post. That post would have been a little more ranting; a little more unappreciative of the two teen-agers that live in our house. It would have shared a text I received from one of the teen-agers blaming me for her speeding ticket because I (quote) pissed her off (end quote). And of course I would probably have shared my feelings of frustration with the other teen-ager because he refused to completely fill out a summer job application.

But I have had several days to just let it go. I thought about what the problem was and realized that it was my attitude. So I prayed that I might feel my attitude turn around. Then I started to look for ways that would help me fix my attitude.

As I was thinking about my teen-agers and looking for solutions I read a blog from a mom with several kids and she had written a letter to each child expressing her appreciation for their unique qualities/characteristics that enhance their family. It was truly a "light bulb" moment for me & I realized where my problem lay--there was way too much focus on the frustrating moments and very little light shining on the good.

I'm grateful that I was reminded what I need to do. I need to try harder to see the positive and let the negative go. I need to make sure each day that I find at least one positive quality/experience about the kids. And, really, it's not difficult to do that. I just need to take the time to do it. The feelings of frustration tend to creep in when I have been too busy to notice all of the good in Katelyn and Carson.

Maybe I'll take a cue from Momza's House and write a letter to each kid.

Warning to Katelyn and Carson: The letters might be mushy. Because sometimes I'm really not a drill sargeant and I do love you.

No comments: