Friday, May 6, 2011

Mucho Tastey

I'm not one who usually gets all "fiesta-y" for Cinco de Mayo, but yesterday it just felt like it would be fun to have a fiesta dinner. So that's exactly what what we had. This was the menu:
Shredded pork tacos with mango salsa
Lima rice
Flan

I know that's not a huge menu, but we aren't huge eaters. The pork tacos were super easy. I cooked the pork shoulder all day in the crock-pot with a sauce of Coke, green taco sauce, cumin, lime juice and 1 c of brown sugar. Oh it was moist and yummy. The mango salsa was easy-peasy to make. Cut up one mango (remember we aren't huge eaters so 1 was sufficient for the four of us), add diced red onion, 2 shakes of garlic powder, some diced chiles, and juice of 1 lime.

The lime rice was easy to make as well. It was 1 c water, 1 c chicken broth, 1 c rice, juice of a lime, some cumin all thrown in a pot to come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer until water is evaporated.

My favorite was the flan. It was my first experience making flan and I'll do it again because guess what...it was easy, too. Melt 1 c sugar in a pot over medium low heat until it turns to caramel. Pour that into a pie pan that has been warmed in the oven (this keeps the caramel from hardening before you cover all the sides and bottom of your pan). Once that is done, set it aside and start on the custard. Beat 4 eggs in a mixer bowl. Then add 1 can evaporated milk, 1 can sweetened-condensed milk and 1 generous tablespoon vanilla. Pour into prepared and pop in the 350 oven for 1 hour. Don't forget to cover with foil (oops, like I did) or the top will get very browned. The flan needs to cool for at least an hour before you eat it.

Unfortunately, the flan wasn't quite ready last night. So of course, I had to try it for breakfast this morning. Oh my. I was in heaven it was so yummy. I couldn't believe it turned out so super-delicious. I think it was by far the best part of our Cince de Mayo feast, even though it was a day late.

Maybe next time I'll remember the pictures.

2 comments:

jessica said...

Heather...I am so sorry I didn't call you back!!! I couldn't run this morning so I ran yesterday morning. I knew all week that Saturday was going to be nuts so I scheduled it right after the girls went to school. I meant to call you a million times and got side tracked...my MIL is here getting her chemo and I've had to help her get here and there...anyway, I am so sorry. I would love to run with you! Let's make a date after the half when we can go for fun and not training ;) I hope you had a good run today!

Nurse Graham said...

No worries, Jessica. It wound up OK. Marla and I ran late yesterday afternoon. I'm sorry things are so crazy and hectic for you. I hope all goes well with your MIL's chemo. I'm thinking once school gets out for summer our schedules might line up a little better. I'm looking forward to that.