Monday, September 13, 2010

Props to WalMart

A few years ago, our family made the decision to pay cash for almost everything. About the only thing we put on a credit card is gas for the cars. We have a little envelope system that keeps each catagories cash. We have an envelope for clothes, haircuts, groceries, and miscellaneous expenses. Once the envelope for the month is empty, no more buying. And no robbing one envelope to pay the other. When we made the switch, I really started paying attention to how much we were paying for groceries. I also started cutting coupons (but I never really got into the couponing craze). I also did a lot of comparison shopping and found that WalMart just couldn't be beat. I know that there are many people out there who refuse to go to WalMart and some even have criticized me for shopping there. But it works for us. Shopping there allows me to feed our family and the dog--the grocery budget is used for people food, hot lunches @ school, and dog food. So I was sad when, a year ago (or has it been 2?), I finally made the decision to go "wheat free". I was sad for the obvious reason of having to give up all that is yummy and delicious, but also because WalMart didn't carry any gluten-free products. That meant I had to shop other stores and spend more money to accommodate my new dietary restrictions. Well I almost did a little happy dance right in the middle of the WalMart aisle on Saturday BECAUSE they have started carrying gluten-free products! And they are cheaper then at the other stores. Granted, it is still a limited selection, but it's progress. So thanks WalMart for rolling with the times and improving your gluten-free offerings. Now, would you please bring back Cinnamon Life? My boy is really missing it and it's way more expensive at the other stores.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

You went gluten free? Are there alergies in your house? Wow. I know what a commitment that is from when we did GFCF with Jaxon. It is tough!