Friday, January 15, 2010

Nurse Graham in Real Life

So I have been mulling over all week the posts that were written by Jessica, Jessica, and Lindsey. I have been trying to decide if I was going to accept their challenge and what exactly my blog is. The more I thought, the more I realized that this blog is ME in real life--the cleaned and polished moments. And you know what? I think I am totally OK with sharing the mostly good. Yes, our family definitely does have foibles and faults, trials and tribulations, but they are not where I put my focus. I spent a lot of my teen-age years, my twenties, and most of my thirties focusing on what was wrong with my life. And guess where all of the energy and focus got me? Nowhere but mostly unhappy. So now I have switched my focus to the good and that is where I place most of my energy. So yes, this blog presents the mostly good in my life because I have a good life. And if in the future my children read this and say, "Wow, we had a good life," then my goal was accomplished. You see, I believe it is human nature to dwell on faults and bad times unless we make a concerted effort to replace them with good memories. I want this blog to be a place where my children can find good memories when they are feeling down. With that being said, here are a few things that I will own (so I can seem more "real" in this totally surreal world of internet):
  • There are some nights when I am just too tired to brush my teeth before going to bed.
  • When I am alone, I enjoy taking a tablespoon of peanut butter right out of the jar, coating it with chocolate chips, and calling that "dinner".
  • I spend way too much time worrying about my abdomen and the fact that is no longer as tight and toned as it was when I was 18 (please no comments about how if I avoided peanut butter out of the jar, I might not have to worry). I also am more envious than I should be of those women who have borne more than 1 child and have abs of steel.
  • Sometimes I think I am funnier than I really am, according to my kids.

Just keepin' it real.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Don't let them fool you. You ARE fuuny! I also have some nights where I'm too tired to get ready for bed.

mom said...

Did these ladies really mean that whenever you encounter them being kind, generous, funny, compassionate, well-behaved or well put together, you should be wary of them because at those times they are inauthentic, i.e. phony? As for the peanutbutter & chocolate chips, you have so few treats left on your list, who would deny you that (well maybe now you kids want their own jar of peanutbutter.)I won't tell your grandfather, uncle or cousin about the toothbrushing issue & the lack of washboard abs may just be inherited physiology.

jessica said...

At least at one time in your life you had abs of steele. I can NEVER claim that. I'm just so glad that I birthed two of my kiddos so that now I have a real excuse!