Monday, October 5, 2009

Birthday Princess

Katelyn,
I know this post is a day late, but you said this morning that it was OK that I am late with the post. Honestly, I can't believe 16 years have gone by already! It seems like just a short while ago, that I held you for the first time. I still remember the first thing I said when I held you for the first time, "She has her daddy's dimple." That simple dimple established an even stronger connection than what I felt when I was pregnant with you. We don't often refer to you as a "princess", but just for today, I want you to know that you truly are of royal birth and heritage because you are a daughter of God.
It was so much fun to watch you at your "Sweet 16". I don't think you ever quit smiling the whole night.

Here are 16 things that I love about you:

  1. I love your innate desire to do what is right. You have no idea what a great blessing this is no only to you, but also to your parents.
  2. I love that you most always have a smile on your face. I know that there are tough days sometimes, but even through those tough times, you manage to smile. This is something that will serve you well as you progress through your life.
  3. I love that you always try to be friends with everyone.
  4. I love that you don't get caught up in "girl drama". I was completely prepared to help you through these challenging situations, but you have figured it out all by yourself--you just stay out of it. I am so proud of you for being able to avoid these all-to-common pitfalls of teen-age years.
  5. I love that you have your daddy's dimple. As I mentioned before, that was the first thing I noticed about you and I absolutely adore your dimple.
  6. I love that you were willing to dance with your dad at your "Sweet 16". The two of you were so cute and I know that it was a special moment for your dad.
  7. I love that when you danced with your dad, you danced like you did when you were little--your feet standing on his feet.
  8. I love that you do service for those in need with such an open heart and without any grumbling. Teen-agers often get a bad wrap for being self-centered, but you dispel that image 100%.
  9. I love that when we get together with our extended families you don't act like you are too cool to play with the younger kids. That is something special and is much appreciated by your aunts and uncles.
  10. I love remembering that when you were little you were the word police. Remember how you used to tell everyone that "stupid" was a bad word?
  11. I love that you are pretty easy to shop with. That has a lot to do with your good-natured attitude and your desire to do what is right. I only get frustrated that the options for cool, modest clothing are somewhat limited.
  12. I love that you are growing up and becoming more independent. This really is a catch-22 for me because I am becoming more and more aware that our time with you living full-time in our home is limited, but at the same time, I don't want to hold you back from attaining your dreams and living your own life.
  13. I love that you will sing "Phantom of the Opera" songs with me in our most funny opera voices.
  14. I love that you know that you are a daughter of God and you do your best to live with that in mind.
  15. I love that you are fearless. Do you remember hearing the story about your first "swimming adventure"? You were not quite 3 and you jumped in the deep end of the pool. When I finally fished you off the bottom (it was a circulating pool and you kept floating away from me), you emerged from the water with a jubilant declaration of, "I swimmed!" There were no tears or any indication that the experience was something scary. You have approached many things in your life with this same attitude. I want you to continue on with this attitude because it is a trememdous blessing.
  16. Most of all, my dear Katie Brooke, I love that you are my daughter and that Heavenly Father has blessed our family with your sweet spirit. I love you with all of my heart.

Love, Mom

6 comments:

Maggie said...

What a beautiful dress. Katelyn is so amazing and your list made me cry. I'm so glad I get to be part of her family.

Mom said...

I clicked on the picture to enlarge it......looks like the phesant feathers are coming out of her head. There I said it before your brother did.
I do remember you saying that she had her daddy's dimple. It was a long night but worth it for sure.
Love you both,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sweet tiara. Happy birthday Katie, too bad you have to wait a while before taking your driving test.

Dan

Anonymous said...

That's funny that mom noticed the feathers, I totally missed them! Man she looks like someone took you and Dave and mashed you together.
We're sorry that we missed the party, sometimes it stinks to live so far away.
We do appreciate that Katie is so good with the smaller kids. All of our kids talk constantly about Katie and Carson.
If I get elected Mayor of Clarkston I may have to start a blog about it. Although that might get a little boring.
We miss you guys. Happy belated birthday Kate.

Love,

Nate

jessica said...

What a sweet tribute...the party looks like it was a sucess and that daddy daughter dance made me teary...

Hardware said...

http://misterhardware.blogspot.com
http://misterhardware.blogspot.com
http://misterhardware.blogspot.com
http://misterhardware.blogspot.com
http://misterhardware.blogspot.com