Thursday, October 15, 2009

Complete Lack of Good Judgment

The quote of the week included in our district's staff newsletter was from Barry LePatner (a big-time lawyer in New York). He said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." I would add that experience and good judgment beget wisdom. I would like to think that the people who have stewardship over our children while they are in school would exercise at least good judgment when making decisions for our children. So imagine my dismay when I read in the above-mentioned newsletter that the other high school in our district will be doing Sweeney Todd for their fall production. Now I admit I have seen neither the Broadway production nor the movie. However, Google is a wonderful thing and I was able to read the Clif Note version of the Broadway production. I do not see how there could be enough editing done to make this appropriate for high school students. And why would the theater department pick a production that has this level of violence? Are there really no other plays out there that are able to convey the same moral "The quest for revenge is a poison that ultimately destroys the revenge-seeker.", but are able to do it without all of the violence? Oh and there is a fair amount of sexual suggestion/propositioning that goes on in the Broadway production. Are sexual propositions what we want to re-inforce in our high school population or the community in general? Am I out of touch? Should I be this disappointed and upset about the theater's department pick for their fall production? I guess they thought their small disclaimer that some content may not be suitable for younger children was sufficient enough to make-up for their complete lack of good judgment.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I would be upset if I were a parent in that high school as well. What if my younger children wanted to go see an older sibling? "I'm going to let your sibling be in this play, but you can't go see it." That doesn't seem right.

Anonymous said...

The problem is that the powers that be in education think that "judgement" is a bad thing. Who are you to judge what is good or bad? I'm sure that those who selected the play felt that it was a very enlightened choice. One that will give the students a chance to experience and understand a new diversity of feelings and ideas. What a load.
BTW, if my child were in that drama department they would be seeking other opportunities to perform. So the whole "I'm going to let your sibling be in this play, but you can't go see it" thing wouldn't have to come up.

Nate