Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Countdown

For a year now, I have been anticipating Katelyn's 16th birthday. And not for the reasons you might suspect, such as now she can drive herself to all of her various activities that keep me running in circles AND drive her brother to all of his various activities that keep me driving in reverse circles. Nope the reason I have been so looking forward to her 16th birthday is because of the celebration! Originally I was going to have a surprise party for her, but then I got worried that I wouldn't know which friends to invite. So in June, I clued her in on the party. Then we got busy thinking about a theme. Honestly, it has taken me over 10 months to come up with just the right theme for her Sweet 16. Then a month ago I was listening to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack and it hit me....Masquerade! She loves the Phantom of the Opera and doesn't a Masquerade Ball sound just about perfect for a Sweet 16? Saturday is the big day and I can hardly wait! We spent last Saturday picking out a dress Oh that was a nightmare! very difficult to find any sort-of modest dress these days, but we were somewhat successful. She has to wear a little jacket over the dress because of the spaghetti straps, but she is very OK with that. She is such a good daughter! We met with the DJ's last night and they seem like they are going to be terrific! They had some very fun ideas. The cake is taken care thanks to some talented grandparents (thanks Mom and Dad). The decorations are in--50 masks, 100 beads, 15 yards of deep purple toole and 16 yards of green toole (we have to use something to cover up the prickly brown walls in the cultural hall), scene backdrops, balloons. We've had positive responses from about 25 people with about 25 more pretty sures. The only thing I'm still trying to resolve is how much and what kind of snacks to have. The party is from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Any suggestions? I want something that isn't messy and doesn't have to be kept warm. I thought about pretzels and chips. I am going to make some pecan pralines and we are using Skittles as part of the the table decorations. So any suggestions? Fun party food ideas? Now is the time to reveal yourselves. Don't hold back because I only have til Saturday to get it all figured out. Oh and what do you think about a Father/Daughter dance after we sing "Happy Birthday"? Paul Simon has a great one called Father and Daughter.

3 comments:

Heather's mom said...

As I remember, your husband is one of non-dancing men but if you can talk him into it, I say go for the dance. Since Katie was worried that some of her friends "don't do chocolate" maybe some fruit/veggie trays with dip for those who 'don't do chips". Bowls of nuts or cheese would be your dad's suggestion.

Mindy said...

This is probably too late, and you probably have it all figured out, with the shopping done and everything. But I am always a fan of chips & salsa and a plate of cheese squares and crackers.

And cookies. Cookies always make every occasion better.

jessica said...

DEFINITELY do the father/daughter dance. She will remember that forever!

As far as snacks go...little smokies in a crokpot with grape jelly and chili sauce...my favorite party snack!

You are such an awesome mom to do this!