Friday, October 23, 2009

2nd Grade Musings

Working in an elementary school is always interesting. Really, you could say that there are some days where there literally is never a dull moment. And when kids say the darndest things, well that usually makes up for all of the times when you think "Why am I doing this?" Sometimes what the kids say gives you a brief glimpse into what their home life must be like. Like when one 2nd grade boy said to me "Oh, those are like cussin' beeps" after I finished his hearing screening. "Cussin' beeps?" I repeat back to him. "Yeah. Cussin' beeps." Then I get it and say "Oh, like the beeps that you hear on the TV when someone cusses?" "Yep" he says as he skips out the door. And then there are times when what the kids say just brings you back down to reality. This past week two 2nd graders said things that did just that. I have to admit that most of the time I live my life thinking I am just as tall as the average-height female. But I can't fool 2nd graders. First conversation had with a 2nd grade girl as she was watching me look for nits on a family member's head..."You have really little hands." she says ever so politely. Family member says, "Well sweetie not much about Mrs. Graham is very big." I have nothing to say but "Yep." Second conversation with a different 2nd grader at a different school. "Gee, I'm almost as tall as you are." says the boy with a huge smile on his face. "Yep and if I took off my tall shoes I bet you would be as tall as me" I reply. Both of these converstations took place on almost back to back days. I didn't even have time to convince myself that I am of normal height before I was reminded again that I am not.

1 comment:

Heather's mom said...

At least neither of the 2nd graders asked you if you were a real grown-up. Nathan came home from kindergarten (his teacher was almost 6' tall)and asked me when I was going to be a real grown-up. 4(at the time) kids & 2 dogs didn't seem like sufficient qualifications I guess......