Thursday, May 22, 2014

TV watching Memory

We are a TV-watching family. Our viewing choices are a bit eclectic. We will watch anything from sporting events (well, not soccer or tennis...too boring) to classic movies on Turner Classic Movies to history or travel shows. The boys have taken a liking to The Bachelor/Bachelorette (why? I have no idea). But I can't cast too many stones since I like to watch The Real Housewives series (everything but the RH of Atlanta and NJ...those ladies are too crazy for me). So, yes, our TV viewing is a bit eclectic. But it is a family activity that we enjoy together.

One of our staples is Survivor. We have watched every season. And watching Survivor has led to some interesting family discussions. Sometimes the discussions are quite comedic. Last night's viewing led to this conversation...

Background info: I have enjoyed cheering for Cass, a lawyer on the "brains" tribe. I have liked her from the beginning of the season. Carson has enjoyed cheering for Tony, a cop who I find irritating, manipulative, and deceitful. Cass totally rubbed Carson the wrong way. He didn't like the way she played the game. He felt she was too emotional and mean.

So last night when Cass came from last place to win immunity to get her to the Final 3 I let out a little cheer. That set the conversation into motion.

-Carson:  Ugh. How you like her? Don't cheer for her. That isn't necessary.
-Me:        What? Like you wouldn't have done the same thing if Tony had won?
-Carson:   If Cass wins, I'm never watching the show again.
-Me:         Whatever. You will to.
-Carson:   I just can't stand her. She's psychotic.
-Me:        Really? Psychotic? That would imply that she didn't play clear-minded; that she was confused. I think all of her decisions were quite clear and calculated.
-Carson:  But she played like a girl...all emotional decisions.
-Me:        I think you are more emotional than Cass.
-Carson (throwing his hands in the air):  But I'm a teen-ager!

I'm sure going to miss him next year. Watching TV with Carson has led to many different conversations, some funny, some just plain interesting, and some quite meaningful.


No comments: