Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Leader of the Pack

Somehow I have wound up the spokeswoman for our school nurse group. Well, actually I know how I wound up as the spokeswoman. I am spokeswoman because I am on the union executive board as representative for special services. Nurses fall under the "special services" catagory, making me the spokeswoman.

Usually I do not mind speaking up and leading when changes need to be made. But I learned a hard lesson many years ago when I was in a similar situation during nursing school--being the spokeswoman for the group. What I discovered then is that sometimes when push comes to shove you find that you are the only one on the bandwagon.

I am hoping that history won't be repeating itself and when I meet with the powers-that-be I won't be an island. If a poll was taken of the nurses, I want them to own what they have shared with me and step up if need be. I know a few will; but I want to see us all standing with linked arms.

1 comment:

mom said...

You can rarely get 100% support when action is required. Too many don't want to "rock the boat: especially in a job climate like this one. What's the issue now?