Saturday, September 8, 2012

And Off They Went


Wednesday was the first day of school for Carson. I had to take my lunch at 10:30 so I could run home to take a picture of him before he headed off to start his junior year at CV. Yes you did read that at 10:30 a.m. he still was not at school. That is because at CV only the freshman start at regular time; everyone else comes at 11:30. But because of the late start, he was wondering how he was getting to school. Fortunately, his big sis was around and wanted to take him to school.

Carson figured that since we were leaving to drop Katelyn off at college later that afternoon, that was kind of like her first day of school so they needed a picture together.

When I got home from work, it was off to Rexburg. Silly Dave thought we would be able to pack all of Katelyn's stuff into the Subaru. Katelyn and I were wiser and chose the truck. It was stuffed to the top of the canopy the entire length of the bed of the truck.
No, we did not pass this sign driving into Rexburg. If we had, I am pretty sure Dave would have turned the truck right around to drive back home.

We arrived at the Katelyn's apartment and started unloading. Of course her apartment is on the 3rd floor, but Dave makes a great Sherpa. She was the first one of the roommates to arrive, so she got to pick her room and where she was going to put her stuff.
Once all the stuff was unloaded, it was time to head to campus to pay tuition, get books, visit the grocery store and bank. It was a busy morning and afternoon. Then before we knew it, it was time to say good-bye. To be honest, it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Even though the saying good-bye wasn't too bad, I have had a few random cry moments over the course of the week. The first one occurred on Wednesday morning when I opened Katelyn's bedroom door to say good-bye before I went to work.

For the past several years, I have only entered Katelyn' room when necessary. Frankly, opening the door and seeing the disaster she called her room was pretty irritating to me. She had been instructed to have the room sorted, organized, and cleaned before she left. As of Monday of this past week, her room looked like it always does and no apparent progress towards cleanliness was seen. But on Wednesday, I could see her floor, a floor I hadn't seen since she started middle school! Her room was sorted and organized. Seeing that made me teary-eyed.

The second random crying moment happened after I took the picture of Katelyn and Carson together. I was so touched that Carson was the one who insisted on the picture and that his sister consented to such a picture. They, of course, were up to their usual antics of never quite smiling at the same time and overall making it difficult to get a good picture, but I did. And then I started to cry.

Another random crying moment occurred as we were signing the 3rd verse of How Firm a Foundation. This was the opening hymn for the President's Welcome. The third verse is built off of the scripture in Isaiah 41:10 that states: Fear not I am with you; oh be not dismayed for I am thy God. As we were signing, I knew this was true. I knew that Katelyn was at a place where God was. You could feel His goodness and presence. What a comfort that was.

The final random crying moment occurred was I was reading Maggie's post about sending Charlotte to kindergarten. She shared the words from her mother...that as soon as your child is born, your job is to get them strong enough to leave home. As I was reading her thoughts, I started to cry as I realized that we had successfully completed our task. But how can you remain sad when you leave your child looking like this...
That joy and excitement makes me smile every time. She's going to do fine.

2 comments:

jessica said...

I totally believe that our job as mothers is to prepare our kids to leave and be on their own. I wasn't prepared very well so I take this job very seriously. What Maya is going through now is so tough but I know it's part of her preparation. Clearly you did your job very well and you should be quite proud of yourself :)

Katelyn said...

My room was not that bad. And you forgot to mention that we took 3 other girls with us and that's why the truck was stacked to the roof.