Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Miss Kate

No I'm not talking about crazy Kate of Kate Plus 8. I'm talking about my Kate. My super sweet, incredibly faith-filled, an absolute joy to be around Katelyn.

Last night she was at work and the rest of us were watching American Idol together. I thought about how much Katelyn would have enjoyed watching that with us. She's worked a lot already this week so we haven't seen much of her. And last night I realized that I missed her.

This letting kids grow up and encouraging them to be responsible, independent young adults is sometimes tough stuff. It's even a little tougher when you realize that, as a parent, you've done a half-way decent job at helping her become responsible, independent young adult and now that she is acting on those teachings you really just want her to be 4 again so you can hold her chubby little hand and listen to all of her millions of stories.

Great, now I've just made myself cry.

Ok, tears are dried and I can write again. Like I was saying, I'm glad that Katelyn is becoming more responsible (for the most part, just don't ask about college applications. At least she has in 3) and she definitely has self-confidence; but sometimes I feel like we are missing too much time with her.

But I'm super grateful for the times she is at home. I love you Kate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love and miss her a lot too.

Anonymous said...

BTW that last comment was from Nate/Jenny, et. al. :)

mom said...

Check your AHS letter jacket - the phenominon is not new.......