Monday, May 17, 2010

"Dying" Adventure

How I spent my Saturday: 13 colors, 232 shirts. And a 1/2 marathon
My sister came over to my neck of the woods last weekend. She doesn't get over here very often, but when I left her a very sad, begging message a few weeks back, she agreed to take a little road trip.
What was it that motivated her and a friend to drive 6 hours? Well, the promise of a weekend full of tie dying of course. My sister is a tie dying guru and I had never tie dyed anything--until this weekend. So when I decided that for 8th Grade Celebration Day, I was going to tie dye 232 white t-shirts, I knew my sister was the woman to call.
So Friday I took the day off of work to begin twisting and rubberbanding the t-shirts. My sister, nephew, and sister's friend arrived Friday late afternoon and we continued working until 11 o'clock Friday night.
(The boxes of t-shirts waiting to be twisted)
I woke up 4:30 Saturday morning to get ready for my 1/2 marathon--I will not be telling you any more about this run except that it sucked! And I went to the urgent care today (Monday) to get 2 liters of fluids because I was still dehydrated. Anyway, after the 1/2, we moved all of the t-shirts and dying stuff out to my parents house and set to work.
Did you know that tie-dying is a very involved process? Soaking in a "fixer", then rinsing, then squirting on dye, then more rinsing after the dye has set for at least 4 hours, then washing and drying? Holy cow! I finally had to stop at 1:00 a.m. Sunday morning because I couldn't take it anymore. By that time we had completed the whole process for about half of the shirts.
(Did you notice my sister and I were both wearing tie dye t-shirts? Funny. Please excuse this picture of me. It was taken at 12:30 a.m.)
My sister and her friend finished up the shirts while I was at church on Sunday. I was so glad she came.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those shirts are super-fancy-tastico. How was church on that little sleep? It's probably a good thing that dad wasn't home, he may have hindered progress. You should have used the Smart for a drying rack.

Nate

jessica said...

That was pretty ambitious of you...232 shirts...are you kidding me!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your run. It was so hot! I was not pleased with how few water stations there were at the end. I sure needed more. I hope you have recovered.

Maggie said...

It seems just like you to try 232 shirts on your first go. Glad it worked out well. They look awesome!

Maggie said...

3q3dczaqqqqqqqq


-Love, Charlotte

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that you have to be nice to the dye, other wise it attacks you! I learned that the hard way.:(

Katelyn :)