Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I Guess She Needs to Ride Shotgun More Often

"Shotgun!" Remember yelling that phrase as you raced your siblings to the car? Remember the wee big of smugness you felt as your mom said that it was your turn to ride shotgun? Remember how it made you feel like at that moment you were mom's favorite? And you would pretty much do anything for your mom if that meant that you could ride shotgun? Yeah, me too. Although with 4 other siblings it seemed like forever before it was my turn again in the shotgun seat. Unfortunately my children have not had the opportunity to ride shotgun very much. One reason is WA state legislation that requires children to ride in the backseat until they are 13. The other reason is that the front seat of my Honda tends to look my travelling office. However, when I am driving the Mountaineer, the children do get to ride shotgun. I would say that 80% of the time, Katelyn is the one riding shotgun. Yeah, well here's what I get for all of that. This is a conversation that took place Monday night as we were leaving pilates. Me (as I'm putting on my 5 layers so I won't freeze when I go outside): Hey Kate, since you're in such a hurry to leave will you help me put on my socks and shoes. You know, like how I helped you when you were little? Katelyn: No Me: Please. Think of it as good practice for when I am old and need help putting on my socks and shoes. Katelyn: Um, you'll be put in a retirement home. I'm sure that there will be someone there who can help you. Later that night I said to her that I'm sure she didn't mean it this way, but when she said I would be put in a retirement home she might as well have told me "I hate you, Mom." She said that what she really meant is that she'll probably be living in another state and won't be around to help me with my socks and shoes and I shouldn't expect her to. Wonder what the conversation would have been like if she could ride shotgun 90 or 100% of the time?

1 comment:

Mom said...

You once asked me why I "just stayed at home & didn't do anything", implying it was embarrassing to have a stay-at-home mom, even one who was raising 5 kids with little spousal assistance at the time. Chalk it up to "teenageness" - it has to happen once in awhile & so far, Katelyn seems to have been easier than average.