Sunday, June 28, 2009

Are We Doing This All Wrong?

Parenting has to be the hardest job/calling I have ever taken on. It challenges me to be creative, flexible, caring, protective, loving, authoritative without being authoritarian, kind, humble, and a million other characteristics. I love my kids and I love being their mom. But sometimes I worry that I am doing it all wrong. That perhaps in my attempt to protect them and guide them, I am squashing their independence and natural curiosity. I usually don't worry about how the hubby and I are doing as parents. However, there have been 3 separate instances lately that make me wonder if we are being to guarded and protective of Katelyn. I worry that we aren't letting her grow-up. Instance #1: A couple of weeks ago David and I rented He's just not that into you. Katelyn said that one of her friends from church had watched it and thought it was very funny. Well, as David and I were watching it (previewing it to make sure it was appropriate for our kids) all I could think was "I can't believe M's mom let her watch this." The next day I was headed off to work and I asked the kids not to watch the movie because I didn't feel it was appropriate for them. Katelyn brought up the fact that her friend had seen it. I said that I was surprised that M's mom had let her watch it and then I explained why I did not feel it was appropriate to watch. I left the house wondering if I had done the right thing. Had I totally interfered with Katelyn's agency and cut off the chance for her to make the right choice? Am I stifling her growth and developing independence? Instance #2: This past week we were on vacation with my whole family (parents, siblings, siblings spouses, and lots of kids). Katelyn was the oldest kid there. The next oldest was Carson. My brother said, "It just blows my mind that Katelyn is going to be 16 in October." I asked why he said that. He replied, "Because she doesn't act like any 16 year old girl that I know". This converstation took place as we watched Katelyn happily coloring with all of her younger cousins. So again I was left to question if we were giving her the needed space to grow and express her independence. To me she seems just right--worried about her hair, worried about her outfits, interested in boys. The thing that I love most about her though is that none of these things totally consume her life and maybe that is what my brother meant. Instance #3: When we returned home Katelyn had a link to a friend's blog. The friend had sent her the link because the friend was using the blog as a way to write short stories. Somehow David wound up on the blog first and read the story. He asked Katelyn not to read the story until I had a chance to read it. Katelyn complied and I read the story. I must admit that I was a little surprised by what the girl (another friend from church) wrote. While most of it was pretty benign, there was a scene where the man forced himself on his new wife. The description wasn't anything graphic, but you definitely knew what was going on. It was also a little disturbing that the friend had decided to make the antagonist's name, Mr. Graham. I told Katelyn that she could read the story if she wanted to. I also told her about the part where Mr. Graham takes advantage of his new wife. After she finished on the computer I asked her if she read the story. She said yes. I asked what she thought and she said that she thought it was a little weird. She also was surprised that her friend would write some of the things that she had written. But again, I was wondering if we were protecting Katelyn too much. So how do you know if you are doing the parenting thing right? Am I crazy to worry about such things? I just don't want Katelyn to feel like we are smothering her and not giving her the chance to stand on her own. It's not the letting them grow up that it is hard, it's knowing how to let them grow-up.

4 comments:

jessica said...

What parent doesn't have these feelings?! I question myself all the time and my girls are only 9 and 6.

It's hard when your thermometer is other LDS families. Even though we all believe in the same gospel the level at which we live it can be very different.

I think you were ABSOLUTELY right in not allowing her to watch that movie. It is not appropriate for her...period. You were protecting her spirit not smothering it.

I love that she colored with her cousins. I'm sure if there were someone her age there she would have done something different. It just shows how well rounded she is.

And the story...well that is weird! I would have read it first to. I think you did the right thing by giving her your opinion of it and then giving her a chance to read it with your perspective.

Okay clearly I have too much too say about this...the bottom line is if you are using the spirit to guide you then you need not worry. She is blessed to have such loving, attentive parents.

Nurse Graham said...

Thanks, I needed to hear that.

Anonymous said...

Well, first off, I have to agree with Jessica. You have to do what you feel is right to keep them safe.
One of the things that is too often lost/devalued is the innocence of childhood.
When I made my comment about Katie it was in the context of many of the loud/obnoxious/less than virtuous girls her age that we know. It is plain to see that Katie has her teenage moments; the "I will have nothing" comment was so classic Heather age 16 that I almost died! For me, if my kids behave better at each stage of development than I did at that stage, I will feel like a success. And, believe me, if that happens it will be mostly because of Jenny. It is a blessing to be married to someone who is a way better parent than ones self.
Anyway, we hope you know that we think you have raised/are raising great kids!

Nate and Jenny
PS why won't the picture of Katie on the rock wall get big?

Mom said...

Katelyn is a "sure, why not" type of child that sees almost any activity as an adventure - even coloring with the little cousins. She seems to have little trouble with seeming "young" for her age - it's OK with her from what I can tell. She will soon have plenty of life experiences as she starts to be more involved with the a cappella and jazz choirs. There is so much unavoidable exposure to the anything goes attitude, it's OK to present a balance, to show that a more conserveative outlook is not weird. I struggled with some of your choices for friends - they often had quite different values than those you had been taught. It's all still out there and you can only decide what will be appropriate in your home and hope it translates into Kate's values. So far, she seems to be doing great. You must be doing quite a few things right.
Carson, he's a different sort of creature.....