Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Good-bye Tall Shoes

There is only some much a 5' girl can do to make herself appear a bit taller. Wearing tall shoes is one of those things. Now, I don't go crazy with the height of the heels; most of my "tall shoes" only have a 2-3" heel. And for the better part of the last 13 years as a school nurse, I wasn't wearing tall shoes to work. But the last couple of years I decided to make tall shoes my "go to" footwear most days of the week (sometimes I cave to fashion). I thought that wearing brands such as Sofft, or Clarks would offer some cushion and more comfort than other shoes. Maybe they do for some people. But for me?Yeah, not so much.

A year or so ago, I began noticing a dull, aching, throbbing pain at the base of my big toe if I wore tall shoes on back to back days. So I cut back a little bit and tried alternating between flats and heels. That seemed to work OK and the pain went away for the most part unless I made of the mistake of wearing heels on back-to-back days.

Well last night that pain was back and back with a vengeance. Matter of fact, it kind of kept me up. The frustrating part was that I hadn't worn heels on back to back days. I wore flats on Sunday, had been barefoot most of the weekend, and Monday was the first time since probably Thursday that I had worn tall shoes. So as I was laying there in bed, with my foot aching, I resolved to give up tall shoes for good. I decided that looking a few inches taller was not worth the irritating, constant pain and the possibility of creating a neuroma that would prevent me from running or biking any more.

There is a silver lining in this however...I now have a reason to purchase several pairs of new shoes, flat shoes that is.

No comments: