Thursday, April 2, 2015

An Apology

Apparently I offended Carson in my last blog post. I know this because he called me right after he read it to let me know. He said I need to quit referring to him as a "man of few words" because he isn't that at all. He then went on to tell me why, in his perception of himself, he does not fit the description of being a man of few words. Unfortunately, he called me when I was at work and I had to attend to some students before I could apologize.

As I continued to think on the conversation I thought that perhaps since I had inadvertently offended him through the public forum of my blog, I should offer an apology the same way. I asked him if that would be OK and he said, "Yes. Thank you." I realize that for it to be a real apology I should only say "I'm sorry" and not include any examples or justifications of why I think he is a man of few words. (Does it negate today's apology if I share those examples in later blog posts? Probably. So I'll leave them unsaid and try to remember that Carson has asked me to quit using that description for him.)

So for you, Carson:

I am sorry that I described you as a man of few words. You were right to point out to me how you have grown and changed. If you were still a man of few words, you probably wouldn't have made as many friends as you have this year and you certainly wouldn't be hanging out with them as often. I'm sorry that I failed to adequately acknowledge this growth. I did not mean to offend you. I love you lots my boy.

Love,
Mom

PS And I'm sorry that this apology is a day later than I told you I would post it. Things got busy yesterday. See there I go, trying to justify why I didn't get the apology done sooner, only in the process I negate the apology. Bother.

No comments: