Friday, January 30, 2015

God is in the Details

Katelyn is doing Facebook project called "God is in the details." The project entails capturing a moment, object, something that demonstrates that God is with us always and in the details of our lives. She has asked us to help her.

God is in the details is not the typical idiom that is said. Usually we hear "the devil is in the details." Wondering how that came about I did a little google searching. Most of the sites state that that phrase is used to offer a word of caution; that the details can be where the mistakes are made and that the small mistakes can ruin the outcome. It was interesting to note that, according to Wikipedia, the original phrase was "God is in the detail."

So somewhere along the way we became cynics and pessimists. The negative aspects of the details, the drudgery, the tediousness, the exactness were highlighted; thus leaving the opposite, the positives, overlooked. In a positive light the details are what give life to a project, they are the spice, the color, the vibrancy. The details provide the meaning and route to completing the whole.

For any project to come to fruition and be successful, the details matter. I will admit that, even though I am a details-oriented person, I sometimes get caught in the trap of seeing only the drudgery and mundaneness. Katelyn's project has helped me shift my focus. How grateful I am to know that God can be with me in the details. He will provide a way through the muck and weeds of the details. If I feel like the details are too overwhelming and I am getting off track, He won't let me wander long in the wrong direction. Most importantly, He will help me see the beauty and vibrancy that I may have overlooked before.

Katelyn's project asks for a picture and story that demonstrates how I see God in the details of my life. For the next 30 days I will focus on seeing God in the details. I will post a daily picture and story here. You might also see them on Katelyn's Facebook page, if I make the cut.

I  start tomorrow.

No comments: