Saturday, January 11, 2014

What's Your Normal?

Time: Thursday afternoon around 3:45 p.m.

Setting: Family room where Carson, Katelyn and I are watching ESPN

Carson is nodding off while watching the show. Before he goes all the way under I ask what time he would like me to wake him up. He mumbles back that he would like to be up around 4:30 p.m.

Next thing you know he is out like a light. Actually more like comatose. Cutting weight is no fun for him and he had been cutting all day so his sleep was deep and heavy. He is sleeping on the cuddle chair and I'm sitting in a chair behind him.

At 4:30 I gently start calling his name. There is absolutely no response. Not even a mumble or groan. I try one more time with just saying his name and telling him it is time to wake up. No response; just deep, heavy breathing indicating that Carson is still deep in slumber.

Now a couple of minutes have gone by so I get up from the chair and go over to where my boy is sleeping. I gently brush the hair off of his forehead and say "Carson. Carson. It's 4:30 and time to get up."

Holy cow! I wakened a beast. His eyes open with a crazy look and he yells "Can't you wake me up like a normal person?!" Oh, the joys of living with a wrestler who is cutting weight.


Time: Friday morning around 7 a.m.

Setting: Carson's bedroom.

Note: I'm not sure at what point in time it became routine for me to wake Carson up for school. He has an alarm clock, but he prefers that I wake him up. So I do.

Back to Friday morning:
I usually just wake Carson up by opening up the door and saying "Good morning. It's time to wake up." But yesterday I was feeling a little silly and spunky so I woke him up by singing some made up lyrics to the tune of the Monkees theme song "Hey, Hey We're the Monkees"

Hey, hey it's Friday.
It's time to wake up.
You've been busy dreamin'
Now it's time to go.
 
So after Thusday's "Can't you wake me up like a normal person", I wasn't sure how he would respond to yesterday's wake up. Would that wake-up call be considered more normal?
 
He just said "Good morning, Mom. I'm up."
 
 
I guess that silly wake-up songs are what he defines as normal. For some reason, that makes me smile.

No comments: