Thursday, June 7, 2012

Senior Mother's Tea

One of the privileges of being a mom to a high school senior is being treated to a great talent show at the Senior Mother's Tea. I suppose for most of the moms they were also impressed with the treats, but nothing was gluten-free so no treats for me.

But my soul was filled with gladness at watching the talent show. Almost every performer made some sort-of beautiful dedicatory remark to their mom before they started. There were a couple of original poems written and dedicated to the author's mom. One son wrote a song for his mom entitled Everything to Me.

The MC's provided enough humor and lightness in between acts that my eyes had enough time to rest and reload. Yes, it's true that for several of the acts I had tears streaming down my face. I am sure Katelyn was full of immense gratitude that the theatre was dark and my tears were probably not noticed too much.

I really did try hard not to let emotion get to me and spill over in the form of tears. But a few things were already setting me up for failure on that effort. First, I was really impressed with some of the dedications...they were heartfelt and much more than "Thanks, I love you Mom". Second, music always speaks loudly to my soul and song lyrics will often move me to tears, even more than a spoken word. And finally, my daughter is graduating for crap's sake! What mother wouldn't shed a tear or two when that realization finally slaps them in the face and you realize that this might be last time you watch your child perform on stage?

PS Katelyn and her friend, Mattie, sang What is this Feeling? from the musical Wicked. They nailed all of their harmony parts and sounded fabulous. I'm going to miss hearing her singing and humming around the house.

No comments: