Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Power of Cheese: It Can Take a 14-year old Boy to His Knees

This is a picture of Carson on the day he decided that he hated cheese. He was at his Aunt Kim's wedding and his Grandpa Whiting was in charge of him because Dave and I were in the wedding party. I'm not sure exactly what happened. My dad swears he only tried to feed Carson a little piece of cheddar cheese, but since that day, Carson has hated cheese. He really does. He will sort-of tolerate it on pizza and in a grilled cheese sandwhich. He does his best to scrape it all off of the lasagna noodles. Anything else that might have cheese, he will not even consider trying. He will choose to go hungry if the main dish contains cheese. No macaroni and cheese dinner has ever been tempting enough to lure him in. So what happened last night? Well, as I was preparing dinner, he wandered in and asked what I was making. I said "scalloped potatoes and ham." He said "Mmm....sounds good." I should have stopped right there and asked if he knew what scalloped potatoes were, but I thought, don't jinx it. Maybe he is ready to give cheese another try. (I was making cheesey scalloped potatoes. I know, I really should have just stuck with the white sauce, but then I wouldn't have the rest of the story). Dinner is being served and Carson says, "What's this? It looks very cheesey." I responded that it was the scalloped potatoes. He said, "I thought you said we were having scallops and potatoes." Ding. No wonder he thought dinner sounded good. Dave and I procede to eat and Carson dishes up a small serving. He then sits and stares at it until Dave and I are finished. He then states he is full. "Full?" I say. "You can't be full. You haven't eaten anything. Just eat 3 bites and then you can be done." (Did I mention he is 14?!) He then pulls out a SLICE of potato, cuts it into 3 pieces, and stares at it again. He stares at it for 3 minutes. He says "I can't do this. Oh man, I can't do this." With some encouragement, he finally eats the 3 miniscule pieces of potato, which he has scraped all of the cheese sauce off of. He then again declares himself full and he leaves the table before we could say anything more. Fortunately, he is 14 and not 2 so there were no temper-tantrums. Instead, we got a lot of laughter. He also knew that this was going straight to my blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Thanksgiving Day at Dad's must be a nightmare for him having to be surrounded by so many different stinky cheeses. Speaking of, we are not coming up, I most likely will have to work most of that week.

Nate

Mom said...

Who knew it would scar him for life? Fortunately, the aversion to cheese didn't transfer to other dairy products - he would never have survived childhood without yogurt.

Mindy said...

Amazing how they can simply turn off their appetite like that. I have an 11-year-old niece who will do just about anything to get out of eating things she doesn't like, including telling her mom, "I don't care what you do to me, I'm not eating that."