Thursday, November 11, 2010

Home of the Free Because of the Brave

This is my Grandpa Bud. He fought in World War II. He didn't talk much about his time during the war. Sometimes I can get Grandma to talk about his service and I love it when she does. I have no doubt that my grandpa was proud to be an American and proud to have served his country. If my grandpa were alive today on this Veteran's Day, this is what I would tell him... Grandpa, thank you for sacrificing your time and talents to serve our country. Thank you for believing in our values, ideals, and freedoms enough to fight to protect them. Thank you for providing our family with a legacy of love of country more than self. Grandpa, because of your service and the service of so many other brave men and women, I can wake up in the morning and pray openly to my Heavenly Father without fear of reprisal. I can keep my scriptures out in the open without fear of who might see them. Because of your service, I can worship how I want to without fear that the government will step in and not only close down the church, but arrest those who are worshipping. Grandpa, because of your service we have been blessed to live in a land of relative prosperity, and when compared to some other countries, luxury. Because of your service, we have the opportunity to travel down any education or career path we see fit to pursue. Grandpa, because of your service my heart is filled with joy and gratitude on this Veteran's Day. I am grateful to all of those who still serve in the Armed Forces, who wake up every day ready to fight for and protect our country. I am grateful to those who are in foreign countries fighting against those forces who seek to totally destablize and destroy our country. I am also grateful for those in our society who recognize and honor the importance of your service and the service of other veterans and those currently serving. Grandpa, I love and miss you. I hope that we are doing enough to make you proud of us. I hope we are doing enough to honor your sacrifice and service to our country. Grandpa, I do love the United States of America. Thank you for serving Her.

2 comments:

jessica said...

Such a sweet tribute to you Grandpa...I'm sure he is proud.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This is a very special and touching remark. I am going to share it with Grandma Carol.

Charlene