Wednesday, November 1, 2017

About Geese


Autumn has arrived and so has one of my favorite activities.
I love to watch geese flying in formation.
I used to jealous of their flight, knowing that the were heading to warm climes.
Now I don't envy their journey; I know how arduous it must be.
Now, I marvel at the teamwork and support.

The other day I was watching a large flock flying in formation.
One goose broke off and headed out on her own.
I was surprised to see that not one other goose left the group.
That doesn't typically happen.
Usually if a goose leaves the group, another goose follows.
No goose goes alone.

So I began to wonder what had happened.
Why was that goose going it alone?
Did she know this was her last journey?
Or was she a jerk and no other goose wanted to go with her?
Or was she fiercely independent and honked that she would be OK and went on her own?

Watching the geese and thinking all those thoughts
Got me thinking about my own independent self.
I realized that I could learn from the geese.
And when it comes to running, I think I have.
I'm all about the teamwork and support of running with friends.
But in other aspects of my life...
I am fiercely independent and don't like to ask for help.
My recent bout with a toxic thyroid, and feeling like crap,
forced me to accept some offers of help.

And guess what?
Getting help didn't kill me
I might do it more often.
I don't want to be the person who gets left alone.

No comments: