Monday, June 23, 2014

"Oh, She Doesn't Even Blog Anymore"

Those were the words that Carson uttered the other day after his dad told him that their conversation (or maybe it was just something Carson said) was blog-worthy. I was sad when Carson stated the obvious fact that my blogging has slacked off significantly. Of course the truth stings a bit, especially when I have no good reason not to be blogging. I guess I didn't really realize how much my family (mostly David and Carson) missed my blog reflections of our every day life. And it really is too bad that I have missed not recording more of Carson's own special brand of snark.

I swear that kid just says things to get me stirred up. He learned quickly what will get me fired up and he definitely enjoys pushing my buttons. When he was younger I didn't find his snarkiness quite as funny as I do now. I'm not sure what that says about me; have I just given up or have we started to make the shift to the more adult-to-adult relationship that just occurs as kids move into older teen-age years? Perhaps I would still be intolerant of the quips if he were generally disrespectful and rude. But, he is a really good kid most of the time and almost always is grateful and loving. Those two characteristics can make up for almost all of his goading and ribbing.

I wish I could remember what he said the other night that prompted the title of this blog post, but here is something he said about a week ago that got me a little riled up. We had just finished watching Malificent and all of us were commenting how on unexpectedly good the movie was. I said that I was especially surprised since I don't usually enjoy Angelina Jolie. Carson asked why not and I didn't have a real good reason beyond "I think she was responsible for breaking up a marriage." To which Carson replied, "Come on, mom. He [Brad Pitt] just found someone he loved better." Of course that got me going on that is not at all how marriage works, you're in it for better or for worse, etc etc. Oh, you should have seem him shaking with laughter. And then I realized he had done it again. Sucked me in, pushed my buttons, and then sat back just to watch me react.

Oh that kid! And don't think he saves it just for me. Today his dad discovered that his deodorant was missing. Carson apparently took it with him to Washington DC. because he didn't feel like the deodorant he has been using was effective. Not only that, but he (Carson) "didn't even smell like himself"--his words--when he wore it. I must admit that I giggled a bit and felt a bit smug as I watched David be the recipient of a Carsonism this time.

So, here's to finding more ordinary things to blog about as a record of ordinary days being a blessing and happy.

No comments: