Saturday, November 21, 2009

One Foot In, One Foot Out

Earlier this week as I was driving home from dropping Katelyn off at the high school, a "Dr. Laura Minute" came on to the radio. I usually keep one ear remotely tuned in to these small segments, letting my other ear and mind focus on driving, the laundry list of "to do" items for the day, etc. But this particular day, I listened with both ears because the caller was a LDS female and I'm an LDS female. The caller started off by saying how much she loved her faith, she loved being Mormon, she practiced the Mormon faith faithfully. After all of that, she then said "BUT, I love to drink wine. I love to drink alchol. I really, really want to drink. Do you think, Dr. Laura, that this is OK and that I should drink?" Dr. Laura's first response was that she couldn't tell the caller to disobey a major tenet of her religion and faith. The caller said "You're right. But do you think I could have one foot in, one foot out?" Here is where I really started listening. Because if you have ever listened to Dr. Laura she is pretty black and white. If something is wrong, something is wrong. So you know what she said? She said "Well, I suppose it is better to have one foot in, then no feet in. I would rather you live your faith imperfectly than have no faith at all." Excuse me, Dr. Laura, but what happened to all of your previous advising of learning self-control, self-discipline, and sometimes what we "want" isn't really what we need or should do? I am not a perfect Mormon woman by any means, but I also don't go around looking to blatantly disobey doctrines thinking that somehow they pertain to everyone but me. Anyway, this phone call became a dinner conversation later that night. I asked the kids what they thought--can you have one foot in and one foot out. Katelyn: You definitely have to have both feet in. Carson: Yeah, what Katelyn said. Both feet in. Dave: I think you would get pretty cold standing in an open door.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that comment by Dave. That type of caller is why I can't listen to Dr. Laura. It is really hard for me to understand why people would want to air those types of basic and silly questions to the nation. The whole notion of the question she was asking is pretty childish.
In the "both feet in" category, there are a couple of books that I would suggest to the boys in your house. "Men of Valor" and "Men of Influence" by Robert L. Millet are really super good. Also, I have been reading "To Draw Closer to God" and "Because He First Loved Us" by President Eyring, lately. Anyway, reading all of those books has made me feel a lot better about myself, and life in general.

Nate

Mom said...

Dr. Laura missed the boat entirely. When someone expresses that much NEED to drink, they are an alcoholic. She should have questioned the caller more closely on other addictive behaviors & refered her to AA. It's quite likely this person will have "both feet out" before long. Scripturally, she has no support for a half-way position either.

jessica said...

Seriously...Mormon's like "that" make me crazy! And that Dr. Laura makes me even more crazy!