Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seriously So, So Hungry

Last spring when I was training for a half-marathon my gallbladder decided to give out. I may have been hungry, but I felt so crappy every time I ate that I really tried not to eat. Unfortunately, that caused a lot of grumpiness (OK, extreme irritability) and tiredness. David even suggested that I never train for a half-marathon again. Well I showed him. I had that toxic organ removed and I feel like a brand new person. This time training for the half-marathon that I am running in 5 weeks has been so much better EXCEPT that I am hungry ALL.THE.TIME. Seriously. Here is a sampling of what I have eaten today: Breakfast: CocoaKrispies with 1 c skim milk and 6 or 7 cashews Snack: 10 cashews and 3 Whopper eggs (I don't even like whoppers, but I was hungry, they were there, and I did eat) Lunch: Chicken tortilla cassarole (had creamed corn, tomatoes, and chicken) Snack: 1/3 c dry oatmeal with small carton of Activa light yogurt Dinner: 1/3 c BBQ pork, 1/2 c green beans, 1 small baked potato with sour cream and butter And just for my kidneys' sake (and to ease my dad's worry--he's a urologist and I am a known chronic kidney stone former) 64 oz of water. Yes, I know today's fare was woefully lacking in fruit. But I am working on the "balanced meals over the course of the week approach". Hey the USDA thinks this is a good approach for the school nutrition programs, so I figure it will work for me. I do usually do a little better in the fruit and veggie department but this is the end of the 2 week menu cycle so our produce drawer is a little low. I would say that this sampling is pretty typical of the amount of food I am eating nowadays. The only difference is that on the day after a long run, I might eat double. For example, this last Sunday was the day after my 11 mile run. We had 2 Easter dinners. The first was at 1 p.m. with ham, potatoes, and asparagus. We then ate our 2nd meal at 6 p.m. That meal included roasted chicken, potatoes, asparagus, greek olives and feta cheese along with a delicious flourless chocolate torte. If I hadn't had a long run the day before there is no way I would have been hungry at 6 p.m. Man I wonder how much I would be eating if I were training for a full marathon or IronMan? Let me think...OK just kidding, Dad. I promised I wouldn't train for anything longer than a 1/2 due to my kidneys so you can stop worrying.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I hear you! I am always eating, it's ridiculous really. I swear I am gaining weight instead of losing it. I'm doing my 11 miles tomorrow...I need to get the pantry stocked up. My cravings are beef jerky and chocolate cake. Real healthy huh.